Friday, May 23, 2008

The MacBook Air Head - its really, really SLOW !

The NEW  MacBook 'Air' Head. $1799

Ok, so I know a lot of people have flamed the MacBook Air right after it came out without even looking at one, or even attempting to figure out what the specs of the machine were. Well, I'm here to tell you that this machine is not all it's cracked up to be, and is a sad addition to Apple's lineup of machines. Does apple even know whom it's customer base is, when it removes Firewire ports from it's machines? One guy's review was about 2 minutes of BS about how the keyboard had a backlight.  There is no doubt the thinness of this design makes this an incredibly sexy machine... but is it robust?  I doubt that it is, and it's features are slacking too. 

Here's the bottom line.  It's thin.  It's sexy. 
But it's also slow.... benchmarks show it's the slowest in Apple's lineup:


Coming in at $1,799 for a base model MacBook Air ; this baby isn't a cheap addition to your Mac Fan boi collection.  And for those of you whom need help with WHY the MacBook Air sucks, let me guide you in the path of  truth ; from a true Apple nerd. I love my Macs, but Apple has still released some bad-egg products over the years (ehem, AppleTV ? Lisa? The Newton?)

* Hard Drive is SLOW @ just 4,200 RPM (5,400 + 7,200RPM's in other Apples)
* The Battery ISNT user replaceable... that's right, it's internal like your iPod! 
* You can't purchase multiple batteries for use with your notebook
* Super - Gloss screen sucks (imho)
* 1 (yes, one) USB port ? Are we in 2008?! Need I say more?
* CPU isn't that fast. Although bus speed is 800mhz
* No optical?  Okay, I could understand when Apple ditched our floppies - but how the hell am I supposed to install Photoshop CS out of the box without one? 
* Apple expects me to spend (another) $100 on a CD drive for the sucker.
* 2 GB Memory limitation
* Not a (true portable) Machine. Look at a Sony portable. 
* Mono Sound - LoL, even my dog thinks that's funny. 
* Door for the USB causes problems  * 3G modems (usb) won't fit 
* No Ethernet Port... unheard of in an office environment. Was this made by computer guys, or valley girls trying to make a pc that would fit in their handbags?
* Only 3 Ports : USB, Mini-DVI out, and a headphone jack
* Without Firewire, there is NO TARGET DISC mode ; which means I cannot backup my old Mac to this new one...using firewire because it's FAST.  Lame huh?
* Without Firewire, I cannot edit video with my Digital Video camera in iMovie
* Like the damn iPhone ; which I own - (but love)  this machine requires a headphone hack adapter to use the headphones you already own, and not Apple brand ones. Seriously. 
* Hard Drive (size) is 80GBs .... this is kind of a joke in 2008, Apple.  HD space is cheap. Take notes. The MacBook Pro models can be configured with storage options up to 250GB's
* While it's Bus speed (800mhz) is just fine, this machine only packs a 1.6 ghz CPU ; and the machine gets punked out by it's integrated graphics 
* MacBook Air's HD is 40% slower than other Mac Laptop HDs, and 70% slower than the iMac